Day 109 – Maceo!



Day 109 – Maceo!
By Jiddoe S'Phatt



Warmest greetings! My name is Jiddoe S’Phatt. Welcome to Day 109 of “Blog 365”.
A little piece of me goes into each entry I write. I hope you enjoy this one!

----------
I’m one of the lucky ones today. I get to attend a Maceo Parker concert. This is something I never thought I’d do. Growing up hearing the music of the late “Godfather of Soul” James Brown and him shouting “Maceo!” during performances, Parker to me was more of a myth.

As a kid I didn’t know what Maceo looked like. I just knew he was someone Brown gave frequent shout outs. I didn’t know how key of a band member he was. I was unaware of his role with Parliament-Funkadelic. 

Grown-up-me learned about the music legend that is Maceo Parker; he’s a motivating band leader, a doubler, a soulful singer, and dynamic jazz saxophonist who fully embraced the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk.

Tonight I've been gifted the pleasure to experience Maceo’s music during “To Ray with Love”, his orchestral tribute to his idol, the late Ray Charles.

Yep. Lucky me.
----------

Share your thoughts with me at info@mrjoewalker.com or on Twitter @mrjoewalker.

Visit MrJoeWalker.com for more great stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment