To Develop: Blog 365 Day 33 – Full Reign of the Bus


To Develop: Blog 365 Day 33 – Full Reign of the Bus
By Jiddoe S'Phatt


Warmest greetings! My name is Jiddoe S’Phatt. Welcome to day 33 of “To Develop: Blog 365”.

Inspiration to write comes from a number of places. For this blog I’ve been inspired by hip-hop artist Rick Chyme and producer David K. Manley of Man@Work Productions. Through a collaborative project titled #DailyPieces365 these two artists will release a new song every day for the next 365 consecutive days! Their impressive dedication has motivated me to write a new blog every day of 2018.

A little piece of me goes into each entry I write. I hope you enjoy this one!

----------

At one point during my childhood I was 1 of 5 Black students in an entire school. I was also 1 of a few on school bus.

I lived in a considerably urban area and rode the bus every morning. It made a couple pit stops for transfers before arriving at my school. It seemed like lots of Black students got on and off along the way.

One or 2 Black students sat in random spots near the front. All the rest of the Black students sat in the back. I was among them only because I was back there trying to hide. I hadn’t yet learned about Rosa Parks. Once I had it changed how I felt about their preferred seating arrangement.

These students weren’t forced to sit back there. They had full reign of the bus. And here was this tale of an older Black lady who was willing to be arrested because she was too tired and weary to care about the law. A foolish law at that. One that, because of her skin color, she had to sit in the rear until one day…she just didn’t.

Black people actually died fighting for equal rights, one of those being able to pick and choose where to fold your body on a bus ride.

It made me wonder if these students were unaware, didn’t care, or just conditioned to fall back.
----------

Share your thoughts with me at info@mrjoewalker.com or on Twitter @mrjoewalker.

Visit MrJoeWalker.com for more great stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment