To Develop: Blog 365 Day 47 – I Heard



To Develop: Blog 365 Day 47 – I Heard
By Jiddoe S'Phatt


Warmest greetings! My name is Jiddoe S’Phatt. Welcome to day 47 of “To Develop: Blog 365”.

Inspiration to write comes from a number of places. For this blog I’ve been inspired by hip-hop artist Rick Chyme and producer David K. Manley of Man@Work Productions. Through a collaborative project titled #DailyPieces365 these two artists will release a new song every day for 365 consecutive days! Their impressive dedication has motivated me to write a new blog every day of 2018.

A little piece of me goes into each entry I write. I hope you enjoy this one!

----------
I’ve been listening to the song “Stakes Is High” by iconic hip-hop group De La Soul over and over lately. I’ve done this before, played their 1996 title track repeatedly. I had it on heavy rotation 20 years ago.

With a little more time under my belt the song means more to me now than it did before.

I don’t want you to think its words and message fell on deaf ears back in the day. Younger me wasn’t ignoring what members Trugoy and Posdnuos were rhyming about. They touched on the continued carryover of inequality along with the socially damaging subject matter our youth were consuming through music. I heard all of that.

It’s just their rhyme patterns in sync with late producer J-Dilla’s beat was louder. I heard more of the fun than the fundamentals. That’s changed.

Young hip-hop artists approach me regularly with their fun-loving, carefree attitudes asking me to listen to their music. Most often it’s something bouncy and bass heavy with no discernable subject matter. Apparently it’s made to attract club goers who spend every waking moment intoxicated. That’s what I heard.

I wonder if these young artists care about the socially damaging subject matter in their music. They have to realize the stakes are higher than ever.


----------

Share your thoughts with me at info@mrjoewalker.com or on Twitter @mrjoewalker.

Visit MrJoeWalker.com for more great stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment