To Develop: Blog 365 Day 39 – Superman is White. I Never Noticed.



To Develop: Blog 365 Day 39 – Superman is White. I Didn’t Notice.
By Jiddoe S'Phatt


Warmest greetings! My name is Jiddoe S’Phatt. Welcome to day 39 of “To Develop: Blog 365”.

Inspiration to write comes from a number of places. For this blog I’ve been inspired by hip-hop artist Rick Chyme and producer David K. Manley of Man@Work Productions. Through a collaborative project titled #DailyPieces365 these two artists will release a new song every day for 365 consecutive days! Their impressive dedication has motivated me to write a new blog every day of 2018.

A little piece of me goes into each entry I write. I hope you enjoy this one!

----------



Children have their heroes. One of mine was Superman. To me, for the longest, he was simply the coolest of all cool things.

But every now and then I’d find myself around an adult who wasn’t particularly fond of the last son of Krypton. A few of them just felt he wasn’t thrilling or remarkable. If the adult was Black, their dislike of Superman was socially and racially motivated.

For starters they weren’t keen on the idea of this White man being the ultimate savior. They also took issue with him being mostly invincible, especially being impervious to bullets. As I child I didn’t understand why that was bothersome. Since then I’ve lived through of a number of Black males being slain by bullets. I get it now.

They’d go on. Superman is nosey with his super hearing and x-ray vision, they said. If he was Black with those power he’d be a criminal, they said.

I watched Superman fly around the Earth so fast in reverse of its rotation, it made time rewind. He removed a still smoldering missile from beneath the ground where it impacted and he didn’t get burned in the process. He raced a speeding train, won, then jumped across the track in front it. He’d rescue someone in peril on the other side of the world and still make it to work on time.

In addition to all of that he could freeze things by breathing on them and shoot beams of heat from his eyes. As a child it made no sense to me why some Black people got bent out of shape over the fact that Superman is White. I didn’t notice.
----------

Share your thoughts with me at info@mrjoewalker.com or on Twitter @mrjoewalker.

Visit MrJoeWalker.com for more great stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment