To Develop: Blog 365 Day 32 – Just a Blemish



To Develop: Blog 365 Day 32 – Just a Blemish
By Jiddoe S'Phatt


Warmest greetings! My name is Jiddoe S’Phatt. Welcome to day 32 of “To Develop: Blog 365”.

Inspiration to write comes from a number of places. For this blog I’ve been inspired by hip-hop artist Rick Chyme and producer David K. Manley of Man@Work Productions. Through a collaborative project titled #DailyPieces365 these two artists will release a new song every day for the next 365 consecutive days! Their impressive dedication has motivated me to write a new blog every day of 2018.

A little piece of me goes into each entry I write. I hope you enjoy this one!

----------

Learning I was different didn’t happen right away. It took some time.

As an adult I’ve often been the only or maybe 1 of few Black people in a room. I never walk in looking to be treated differently. I enter treating everyone equally. Letting my personality shine sometimes helps take the emphasis off my skin color.

When I started school many years ago not many cared how outgoing I was. The children in my class were tough enough. The parents and teachers always gave me a difficult exam.

During kindergarten and 1st grade I was 1 of 5 Black students in an entire school. To those parents who frowned on my attendance I was just a blemish on an otherwise pristine class photo.

Teachers and parents spoke slowly to me, overemphasizing their words as if there was a language barrier. I was a Black kid who rode the bus from the inner city to school every morning. I wasn’t being shuttled in from Spain or some indigenous island.

I still didn’t get it right away. I’d gone to a daycare where children of all walks of life played together. Once in school all but a few avoided me. I was told everyone enjoyed me being there and that I was well liked, yet I couldn’t help noticing the disgusted looks.

I’d learn their glances meant I didn’t belong.


----------

Share your thoughts with me at info@mrjoewalker.com or on Twitter @mrjoewalker.

Visit MrJoeWalker.com for more great stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment