To Develop: Blog 365 Day 48 – No Expression of African Pride



To Develop: Blog 365 Day 48 – No Expression of African Pride
By Jiddoe S'Phatt



Warmest greetings! My name is Jiddoe S’Phatt. Welcome to day 48 of “To Develop: Blog 365”.

Inspiration to write comes from a number of places. For this blog I’ve been inspired by hip-hop artist Rick Chyme and producer David K. Manley of Man@Work Productions. Through a collaborative project titled #DailyPieces365 these two artists will release a new song every day for 365 consecutive days! Their impressive dedication has motivated me to write a new blog every day of 2018.

A little piece of me goes into each entry I write. I hope you enjoy this one!

----------
I saw Marvel’s Black Panther last night. I loved it. So far it’s the highlight of Black History month.

My friend TJ and I went to an event at Celebration! Cinema in Grand Rapids hosted by Totem Soul, Grand Rapids HipHop Coalition and The Love Movement Inc. We could have easily watched the movie from one of the nicer theaters closer to our homes but chose to make the trek for the fan fair.

It was worth it.

With the main character being an African king, some people were dressed in African-inspired attire. Others wore costumes inspired by characters from the movie and comic books. We even caught a glimpse of 2 people dressed as members of the revolutionary Black Panther Party. I found their wardrobe choice quite interesting.

TJ and I didn’t dress up. He wore Michigan State University gear. I went with an airbrushed Darth Vader t-shirt and my MSU ball cap to top it off. Our exterior had no expression of African pride heading into this movie.

By no means were we out of place though. Our excitement matched with everyone bustling about for snacks, photos, and Black Panther merchandise.

We could tell which adults in attendance fully bought into the hype based on their outfits. I sure hope the night will be a Black History Month highlight for them for years to come.


----------

Share your thoughts with me at info@mrjoewalker.com or on Twitter @mrjoewalker.

Visit MrJoeWalker.com for more great stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment