To Develop: Blog 365 Day 35 – Justice League Didn’t Have My Back



To Develop: Blog 365 Day 35 – Justice League Didn’t Have My Back
By Jiddoe S'Phatt


Inspiration to write comes from a number of places. For this blog I’ve been inspired by hip-hop artist Rick Chyme and producer David K. Manley of Man@Work Productions. Through a collaborative project titled #DailyPieces365 these two artists will release a new song every day for 365 consecutive days! Their impressive dedication has motivated me to write a new blog every day of 2018.

A little piece of me goes into each entry I write. I hope you enjoy this one!

----------
There wasn’t much to load in my backpack as a 1st grader. But I carried one anyway.

I’d usually haul a book or 2 borrowed from the school library, typical school supplies, and a toy I wasn’t supposed to bring. Most often it was my Superman action figure, maybe Batman and Robin, or sometimes all 3.

My notebook of drawing paper got stuffed in there too. If you’re familiar with Charlie Brown and The Peanuts characters, my notebook and I could be likened to Linus and his security blanket.

I was always writing and drawing in that thing. My imagination didn’t have an off switch so this provided me a place to contain my loose ideas. Most times I would write stories about my classmates and literally draw them into it. I didn’t share these stories with them, though. Not at first.

Being an inner city child attending a private school was strike one. Being Black with a documented overactive imagination was strikes 2 and 3.

After my backpack was loaded I’d grab a jacket if needed, make sure the pennies were straight in my brown leather loafers before putting them on, and head off to the corner of my yard to await the bus and unwelcomed looks I’d get after boarding.

The Justice League didn’t have my back. They just rode on it.

----------

Share your thoughts with me on Twitter @mrjoewalker.

Visit MrJoeWalker.com for more great stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment