To Develop: Blog 365 Day 51 – Afraid to Be Black



To Develop: Blog 365 Day 51 – Afraid to Be Black
By Jiddoe S'Phatt


Warmest greetings! My name is Jiddoe S’Phatt. Welcome to day 51 of “To Develop: Blog 365”.

Inspiration to write comes from a number of places. For this blog I’ve been inspired by hip-hop artist Rick Chyme and producer David K. Manley of Man@Work Productions. Through a collaborative project titled #DailyPieces365 these two artists will release a new song every day for 365 consecutive days! Their impressive dedication has motivated me to write a new blog every day of 2018.

A little piece of me goes into each entry I write. I hope you enjoy this one!

----------
There was a time I’d walk in a room, be the only Black person there, and honestly think nothing of it. I was little. I didn’t know any better. But you know what you learn, if that makes sense.

I’d mingle, talk with people I was comfortable talking to and just be myself.

After I got a little older I was told Black people weren’t always as welcome as I thought. So I started paying attention. I’d see the disapproving looks. I’d notice the difference in how I was being spoken to. I found out police weren’t always fair to those who shared by skin color. I learned enough to significantly disturb my comfort.

For a moment in my life I was afraid to go certain places and attempt certain activities because I was Black.

After I got a little older, after gaining experience from simply living, what I was told about Black people not always being as welcome as I thought lost its sting. I still believed it. It was true. But it’s a ridiculous, silly truth. I respected it because in some places, in some situations, you have to. It’s the same for a White person, or a person of any other ethnicity entering a space where they were the vast, even the extreme minority. But I no longer feared it.

Wherever I go I’m going to me. Who I am may be enough to change how it’s felt about what I am.

Most of all I won’t ever be afraid to be Black.

----------

Share your thoughts with me at info@mrjoewalker.com or on Twitter @mrjoewalker.

Visit MrJoeWalker.com for more great stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment