To Develop: Blog 365 Day 34 – Chocolate and Mud



To Develop: Blog 365 Day 34 – Chocolate and Mud
By Jiddoe S'Phatt


Warmest greetings! My name is Jiddoe S’Phatt. Welcome to day 34 of “To Develop: Blog 365”.

Inspiration to write comes from a number of places. For this blog I’ve been inspired by hip-hop artist Rick Chyme and producer David K. Manley of Man@Work Productions. Through a collaborative project titled #DailyPieces365 these two artists will release a new song every day for the next 365 consecutive days! Their impressive dedication has motivated me to write a new blog every day of 2018.

A little piece of me goes into each entry I write. I hope you enjoy this one!

----------
I lived in a considerably urban area of town but was bussed to a more suburban area for school. I attended a private school during 1st grade and the bus I rode made a few stops for transfers along the way.

I could tell by the looks on all the children’s faces I saw every morning that none of them wanted to ride into my neighborhood to pick me up. I’d get on the bus with them peering at me as though I was putting them in eminent danger. And I wasn’t. I just wanted to get to school, get it over with, and back home to watch cartoons just like them.

Once I was on the bus I’d head to the back. No one else would be sitting there until other Black students got on at transfer locations.

At first it felt more comfortable sitting in back because, before I knew what being shy and having stage fright was, I felt unsettled when numerous people all gawked at me at once. After understanding being Black made me different, and in some places unwelcomed, it became a place to mask myself from unpleasant stares and eye-rolling.

When I was joined by other Black children it wasn’t any better. They were from better neighborhoods than mine. Though we shared skin color and historical oppression, their Black was chocolate while mine was mud.
----------

Share your thoughts with me at info@mrjoewalker.com or on Twitter @mrjoewalker.

Visit MrJoeWalker.com for more great stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment