To Develop: Blog 365 Day 46 – Anyone There



To Develop: Blog 365 Day 46 – Anyone There


By Jiddoe S'Phatt


Warmest greetings! My name is Jiddoe S’Phatt. Welcome to day 46 of “To Develop: Blog 365”.

Inspiration to write comes from a number of places. For this blog I’ve been inspired by hip-hop artist Rick Chyme and producer David K. Manley of Man@Work Productions. Through a collaborative project titled #DailyPieces365 these two artists will release a new song every day for 365 consecutive days! Their impressive dedication has motivated me to write a new blog every day of 2018.

A little piece of me goes into each entry I write. I hope you enjoy this one!

----------
The song “Stakes Is High” by iconic hip-hop group De La Soul is considered by many, including me, to be a classic. The first single and title track of their 1996 full-length studio album, this J-Dilla produced gem still resonates today.

On it group member Posdnous delivers a line that’s grown more poignant and relevant to me as time has progressed.

Pos says, “Neighborhoods are now ‘hoods ‘cause nobody’s neighbors”.

I grew up in a quaint yet tough area. The grass was green, bushes were trimmed, flowers blossomed along fences, and its trees rained plenty of leaves to rake in the fall.

Many of the families who lived there, including my own, were close-knit transplants from the south. Their children and grandchildren played and attended school together from the time they were in kindergarten until they graduated from high school. We all knew one another, cared for one another, and treated each other like extended family.

I don’t know anyone there anymore.

Most of the elders have passed on. Their children and grandchildren fled for different cities and states as drugs and drug-related crimes ravaged that once quaint neighborhood. The grass, bushes, flowers and trees are dead. Bullets reign.

My neighborhood became a ‘hood. Stakes there are certainly high.

----------

Share your thoughts with me at info@mrjoewalker.com or on Twitter @mrjoewalker.

Visit MrJoeWalker.com for more great stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment