To Develop: Blog 365 Day 45 – A Dirty Goose in a Chicken Coop



To Develop: Blog 365 Day 45 – A Dirty Goose in a Chicken Coop
By Jiddoe S'Phatt


Warmest greetings! My name is Jiddoe S’Phatt. Welcome to day 45 of “To Develop: Blog 365”.

Inspiration to write comes from a number of places. For this blog I’ve been inspired by hip-hop artist Rick Chyme and producer David K. Manley of Man@Work Productions. Through a collaborative project titled #DailyPieces365 these two artists will release a new song every day for 365 consecutive days! Their impressive dedication has motivated me to write a new blog every day of 2018.

A little piece of me goes into each entry I write. I hope you enjoy this one!

----------
My basement is a warehouse of memories. Taped-up cardboard boxes line its cold walls. Inside each of them are keys to the time machine.

A few of the boxes are purposely stored on top of these piles for easy access. One in particular contains report cards, art projects, spelling tests, and other remnants from my time in kindergarten and 1st grade.

My kindergarten class photo means more to me now than ever before because my teacher, Mrs. Susan Leatzow, passed away in February of 2016. I’ve been thinking about her a lot lately.

I learned about Mrs. Leatzow’s passing the day after her funeral. Had I known, I would have certainly attended to pay my respect. I remember her being very nurturing and somewhat protective of me. I was 1 of very few Black children in a Lutheran private school. It was like being a dirty goose in a chicken coop. People looked at me as though I was about to lay anything but a golden egg. Some probably expected a crispy fried one.

Though many at the school, mostly other parents, weren’t thrilled to have me among the attendees, Mrs. Leatzow made me feel welcomed. She didn’t treat me like “the Black Kid”.

She was still the kindergarten teacher there when I returned in 8th grade. She was first in line to greet me. Sadly, I never got to say goodbye.

----------

Share your thoughts with me at info@mrjoewalker.com or on Twitter @mrjoewalker.

Visit MrJoeWalker.com for more great stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment