To Develop: Blog 365 Day 49 – An Appropriate Tune



To Develop: Blog 365 Day 49 – An Appropriate Tune
By Jiddoe S'Phatt


Warmest greetings! My name is Jiddoe S’Phatt. Welcome to day 49 of “To Develop: Blog 365”.

Inspiration to write comes from a number of places. For this blog I’ve been inspired by hip-hop artist Rick Chyme and producer David K. Manley of Man@Work Productions. Through a collaborative project titled #DailyPieces365 these two artists will release a new song every day for 365 consecutive days! Their impressive dedication has motivated me to write a new blog every day of 2018.

A little piece of me goes into each entry I write. I hope you enjoy this one!

----------
The song “Stakes Is High” by iconic hip-hop group De La Soul should have been on the soundtrack for Marvel’s Black Panther movie. They could have at least played it somewhere in the film. It’s an appropriate tune.

There’s no stakes higher than a king fighting to keep his place on the thrown, his family together, and his nation both united and safe.

Had I been executive producer of the soundtrack instead of Kendrick Lamar, “Stakes Is High” would have surely made the cut. Add “Love” from Mos Def’s Black on Both Sides album to the track list too. Oh, and “Take It Personal” from Gang Starr’s Daily Operations and “Royalty” from their LP Moment of Truth.

My musical contribution to the movie would have sounded like a 1990s basement mixtape. Given its Black History Month theatrical release, I would have been right to load the set with classics. Its first track would be “It Gets No Rougher” by LL Cool J.

Why?

Because it’s from his album Walking with a Panther.

And what color is a panther?

Black!

I’m willing to bet a not-so-substantial amount Kendrick Lamar never thought of that when he started conceptualizing Black Panther’s soundtrack. Kendrick could have still be involved under my direction. I would have made him rap to the beat of “Black Cat” by Janet Jackson. It’s an appropriate tune.

----------

Share your thoughts with me at info@mrjoewalker.com or on Twitter @mrjoewalker.

Visit MrJoeWalker.com for more great stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment