To Develop: Blog 365 Day 12 - Triple Shots


To Develop: Blog 365 Day 12 - Triple Shots
By Jiddoe S'Phatt

Warmest greetings! My name is Jiddoe S’Phatt. Welcome to day 12 of “To Develop: Blog 365”.

Inspiration to write comes from a number of places. For this blog I’ve been inspired by hip-hop artist Rick Chyme and producer David K. Manley of Man@Work Productions. Through a collaborative project titled #DailyPieces365 these two artists will release a new song every day for the next 365 consecutive days! Their impressive dedication has motivated me to write a new blog every day of 2018.

A little piece of me goes into each entry I write. I hope you enjoy this one!

----------

It took me nearly 2 years to beat the Nintendo game Blaster Master. I played it so much, and for so long, my NES console should have melted from heat exhaustion with the cartridge still inside. In eighth grade I stayed home “sick” to give it another crack and was finally victorious.

Thirty-two years later I still have yet to defeat the original Castlevania.

I played sick for this one once too. The object of the game is to defeat Count Dracula, but first you must survive all the traps and monsters lurking inside and outside his castle. Clearly it’s not an easy task when you consider the fact this neck-biting 8-bit villain has managed to remain nearly unbeaten for 3 decades.

I stayed home hoping for another day of hooky magic. My biggest opposition on Castlevania up to that point was Grim Reaper. The stage boss before Dracula, Reaper was immensely difficult to take down. For this fight I had nearly full health while wielding boomerangs with Triple Shots – a power-up that allowed you to throw 3 weapons at once.

Previous losses to Reaper brought on real tears of frustration. Finally defeating him almost made me cry as well. After that I had no intention of battling him again. I was going to beat Dracula and retire this darn game.

I unexpectedly breezed through the final stage for a shot at the vampire. Tossing my trusty boomerangs 3-at-a-time I toppled Dracula in a close battle.

But it wasn’t over.

Dracula rose from the dead, transformed into this giant werewolf-like creature, and took me out before I could fully process what happened.