To Develop: Blog 365 Day 5 - Violent Poultry


To Develop: Blog 365 Day 5 - Violent Poultry
By Jiddoe S'Phatt

Warmest greetings! My name is Jiddoe S’Phatt. Welcome to day 5 of “To Develop: Blog 365”.

Inspiration to write comes from a number of places. For this blog I’ve been inspired by hip-hop artist Rick Chyme and producer David K. Manley of Man@Work Productions. Through a collaborative project titled #DailyPieces365 these two artists will release a new song every day for the next 365 consecutive days! Their impressive dedication has motivated me to write a new blog every day of 2018.

A little piece of me goes into each entry I write. I hope you enjoy this one!

----------

One of the coolest gifts I’ve ever received is a replica of the Master Sword from video game series The Legend of Zelda. It’s sturdy and sharp too, but it’s nowhere close to being my mightiest gift. That honor goes to the first notebook and ink pen I was given. Writing in that thing led me to blessings and on adventures no video game could ever replicate.

I’ve never actually stabbed anything real with my Master Sword. On the video games I’ve sliced countless tree and plants, beasts, armored soldiers, pirates, and even a few frighteningly aggressive chickens. While writing in my notebook I’ve tangled with far greater challenges than violent poultry. Two of those is organizing ideas and listing my journalist goals before taking them on.

I can remember reading a ridiculous number of story ideas from my notebook to MLive’s iconic columnist John Gonzalez. Back in the day he was my features editor at Grand Rapids Press Newspaper. He’d look at me as though I was attempting to go too over and beyond. And I was. I knew only a few of those would ever make it to print in the Press, but I had backup to cut through my journalist goals list.

Those goals were to be published more times and in more publications than the previous year.

And I slayed them.