To Develop: Blog 365 Day 3 - Kneel Before Black Thought


To Develop: Blog 365 Day 3 - Kneel Before Black Thought
By Jiddoe S'Phatt

Warmest greetings! My name is Jiddoe S’Phatt. Welcome to day 3 of “To Develop: Blog 365”.

Inspiration to write comes from a number of places. For this blog I’ve been inspired by hip-hop artist Rick Chyme and producer David K. Manley of Man@Work Productions. Through a collaborative project titled #DailyPieces365 these two artists will release a new song every day for the next 365 consecutive days! Their impressive dedication has motivated me to write a new blog every day of 2018.

A little piece of me goes into each entry I write. I hope you enjoy this one!

----------

I’ve been asked on numerous occasions what writers inspire me. Among those I mention I tell them one of my biggest inspirations is Tariq Trotter.

“Who?”

Tariq Trotter. Black Thought of The Roots.

With his recent run of freestyles on popular radio shows and frequently visited YouTube channels, the masses have found a greater appreciation of Black Thought’s remarkable word use. I’ve maintained an almost life savers appreciation of him since the first time I heard “Distortion of Static”. He’s one of my all-time favorite hip-hop artists.

I would listen to “Concerto of The Desperado” repeatedly. His rhythmic delivery of phrases with multiple syllables gave me chills. His flow has more pattern possibilities than 8 drum machines being played simultaneously by Goro and Kintaro.

Several years ago I literally bumped into Black Thought at an after party following the “Smokin’ Grooves Tour” in Detroit. While in VIP with my crew from TheGrooveSpot.com, I backed up so a waitress carrying a tray of drinks could get through the aisle we were clogging. Unbeknownst to me Thought was seated directly behind me. After making inadvertent contact I turned around to apologize. Seeing Black Thought I immediately transitioned from apologetic to giving him regal respect.

After he assured me no harm was done he extended his had to me. Instead of shaking it I clutched it, then kneeled before him. Like a subject to an admired king I professed by loyalty to his writing ability and heaped compliments on him.

Black Thought was gracious. Also embarrassed. He smiled and, with his voice hoarse, asked me to stand up. I told him who I was.

“Who?”

It was loud in there.